The historical palace complex of Niavaran is located in a large garden in northern Tehran, which has a lot of natural and historical beauty and charm. The first thing that catches your eye when entering the complex is the peaceful singing of birds and light fresh breeze – here you can leisurely stroll in the lap of lush nature, filled with serene joy. That is why Persian kings once chose the place as their summer residence. The complex belongs to the Qajar and Pahlavi periods. The whole area is 11 hectares with several outstanding palaces turned now into museums. The history of this palace goes back to about 280 years ago when Fath-Ali Shah Qajar asked for a summer residence to be built in this area.
The main palace of the complex is called Niavaran – this is a great architectural structure in the northeast of the garden. This palace was initially built for royal ceremonies and events but later turned into the residence of Iran’s second king of the Pahlavi ruling dynasty Muhammed Reza Shah and the royal family. The whole palace is adorned with magnificent plasterwork, mirror work and tile work created by the skillful hands of Iran’s greatest masters. The structure of the palace is a blend of pre and post-Islamic arts. With an area of 9000 sq. m. this palace was built back in 1957 during the reign of Mohammed Reza Pahlavi. It’s packed with rooms which are beautifully decorated and furnished with a special ceiling which access an air conditioning and brings in more light. In one of the halls, royal gowns and precious fabric delivered from Asian and European countries catch the eye. Elegant needle works and embroidery by Iranian masters from different parts of the country are also put on a show here. Every corner of the palace has some great works of art that catch one’s eye: precious paintings and sculptures by Iranian and foreign artists, antique carpets and furniture are everywhere.
The Saheb Qaranie palace was built 167 years ago. This is where the last of the Persian kings lived and also received and entertained their guests. It was in 1850 that Naser ed Din Shah ordered to build this palace including formal reception area and more informal gatherings halls. Both halls are great architectural constructions adorned with intricate paintings and splendid windows decorated with colorful glasses. Even the doors are a true piece of art with delicate authentic Iranian painting. In 1976 a section in the western part of the palace was designated to fancy souvenirs and presents to the royal family from all over the world. Works exhibited include paintings by Iranian artists as well as world-famous artists such Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso, and Paul Gauguin.